*** UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA, Gainesville, FL, USA *** 19 March 2018 *** $60,000 – $65,000/year ***
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Charles Steinmetz Hall
Postdoctoral Research Associate Position Available in Honey Bee Husbandry Research
Honey Bee Research and Extension Laboratory (HBREL) Entomology and Nematology Department Bldg. 970, Steinmetz Hall Natural Area Dr. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 32611-0629 http://www.ufhoneybee.com
The position is full-time for one year, with multiple years of funding support possible. This is a non-tenure accruing position.
$60,000 – $65,000/year
The Honey Bee Research and Extension Laboratory is seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral research associate whose primary responsibility will be to address commercial beekeeper research needs in Florida and nationally. The postdoc will work with the PI (Dr. Jamie Ellis) and directly with commercial beekeepers to develop a nationally recognized, applied research program in honey bee husbandry. Research topics will include, but not be limited to, honey bee pest/pathogen control, honey bee nutrition, colony management, improving queen quality, pollination, toxicology, package/nuc/colony production, and/or improving the production and quality of hive products. The postdoc is expected to seek extramural funding to support and grow the applied research program. Furthermore, the postdoc will mentor graduate and undergraduate students, supervise research technicians, and work with other scientists/visiting scholars in the laboratory. The postdoc will produce thorough project reports to fulfill the duties associated with any grant and sponsored program requirements, in addition to refereed manuscripts in which the project results will be published.
- A PhD in entomology, biology, or a related discipline
- Experience with honey bee husbandry (including disease/pest control, nutrition management, swarm management, etc.)
- Experience working with beekeepers
- Cannot be allergic to bee stings
- A history of publishing impactful refereed manuscripts
- Evidence of research productivity (including high-quality research publications, presentations) and involvement in innovative, high-level research
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills, excellent time management skills
- Demonstrable research potential, high motivation and enthusiasm for the subject area
- Demonstrable experience with collecting and analyzing large data sets
- Ability to integrate successfully into a laboratory employing students, technicians, and postdocs with varied interests
- A valid driver’s license
The postdoc will report directly to Dr. Jamie Ellis but will collaborate regularly with personnel from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services – Division of Plant Industry.
A review of applications will begin 19 March 2018 and will continue until a suitable candidate is found. Applicants must submit applications to Ms. Emily Helton (email@example.com). To be considered for this position, one must submit
- a letter of application (cover letter),
- curriculum vitae,
- pdf copies of three refereed publications (if publications are available), and
- university transcripts (undergraduate and graduate school transcripts).
- Furthermore, it is the candidate’s responsibility to arrange to have three letters of recommendation sent to Ms. Helton from the individuals supplying the letters. Email submission of complete application is required. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please email Dr. Ellis (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The selection process will be conducted in accord with the provisions of Florida’s Government in the Sunshine’ and Public Records Laws. Applications, resumes, and many other documents related to the search will be available for public inspection. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation.