See section 6.5.1. for a description of the Clip tool. As an example, the clip operation could be performed between the honey bee locations and the commune of Fribourg.
- Activate the layer commune_boundary_FR.shp in the Map Legend.
- First select the polygon that represents the city of Fribourg (“BFSNR” = 2196) with an appropriate selection tool (see section 7.4.).
- Open the Clip tool, go to Vector.
- Select Geoprocessing Tools.
- Choose Clip.
- Choose the point layer containing the honey bee colony locations as Input vector layer and the polygon layer as Clip layer.
- Make sure that the checkbox the Input Vector Layer Use only selected features (with this the operation could be performed on a selection of features only) remains blank (there is no selection), and that the one for the Use only selected features Clip Layer (beneath) is checked (Fig. 96).
- Launch the Clip operation by clicking OK.
- Click YES to confirm loading
the newly created vector layer (containing only 3 points) to the project.
Fig. 96. Clip the honey bee locations to the boundaries of the city of Fribourg.