5.2.1. Sealing semen-filled capillary tubes
- Collect semen into glass capillary tubes of the syringe.
- Remove glass tip and detach the filled capillary tube.
- Force petrolatum into one end of the tube (~7
a. Insert the capillary tube into the petroleum jelly perpendicularly several times until a sufficient plug is formed.
b. The petroleum can be touching the semen or a small airspace can be collected between the semen and petrolatum seal.
- Reconnect the sealed end of the tube to the syringe and push the column of semen forward to allow space to seal the other end.
- Detach and place a petrolatum seal in the other end of the filled capillary tube.
- An alternative method, a glass bead connected with a small piece of silicone tubing, can also be used to seal the capillary tube. The glass bead is made by heating a small piece of capillary tube to seal both ends.
- Store in the dark at a temperature of 20ºC. Avoid sunlight and temperature fluctuations.