4.4.4. Dead bee traps requirements as gathered from the literature
- Traps have to be well designed to allow for easy sample collection.
- Traps have to be very efficient at trapping only dead bees.
- Dead bee traps should not obstruct the normal behaviour, productivity and flight of bees.
- Predators/scavengers should not be able to enter the dead bee traps.
- Traps have to be resistant to adverse weather conditions.
- Small, drainage holes for rain water should be present.
- The dead bee trap should allow for straightforward construction and cleaning.
- The attachment and removal of the traps from the hives should be uncomplicated.
- Dead bee traps should be as cost-effective as possible.