220.127.116.11.3. Using a paint brush for collection of fresh pollen
In the case of flowers where pollen is accessible from the outside of flowers e.g. sunflowers and aloes, one can also use a paint brush (Fig. 40; Human and Nicolson, 2006; Nicolson and Human, 2008).
- Pick flowers.
- Keep the flowers in containers in the laboratory at room temperature.
- Use a paint brush to gently brush of pollen from the anthers into a container.
- Continue collecting pollen this way on a daily basis until pollen shedding is complete.
- Clean collected pollen using sieves (pore sizes 0.119 and 0.0043 cm) to remove anthers, insects, and other debris.
- Store collected pollen at -20°C until ready for
Fig. 40. Using a paint brush to collect pollen. Photo: A Switala.